31 August, 2021
Welcome back to a new school year. We are as ready as we can be, and we are excited to welcome students and parents back into our building!
August 31st, 2021
Hello Parents and students:
Welcome back to a new school year. We are as ready as we can be, and we are excited to welcome students and parents back into our building on Wednesday morning!
Students are asked to use the following designated entrances:
K-3 students: South Entrance
Grade 4-6 students: South-east entrance
Grade 7-12 students: Front (north) entrance OR North-east entrance
*** K-3 PARENTS – You are welcome to use the same entrance as your K-3 student(s)
for the first day of school. After the first day please follow the request below.
All parents and visitors to our building are asked to use ONLY THE FRONT (north) ENTRANCE of the school. As per Sun West School Division’s policy in the updated Safe School Plan:
“We ask that all (parents) and visitors sign in when entering and leaving the
school. It is strongly recommended that all non-vaccinated visitors wear masks
while in the school.”
We are happy to welcome and introduce several new staff to Eston School this year: Mackenzie Prouse, Grade 2; Amy Flynn, Grade 7-9 math and science; Josh Anderson, Grade 4-12 Phys. Ed; Shane Clark, Career Work Exploration; Chantelle Benjamin, Teacher Candidate in grade 1; Graysann Walton, Teacher Candidate in senior ELA and History.
On the following pages you will find several important items of which to note and familiarize yourself with for the upcoming year, as well as online links to mandatory forms that need to be completed by Friday, September 10th.
** As of 2:30 this afternoon, Tuesday, August 31st, the Sun West School Division’s Safe Schools Plan has been UPDATED. Please take special note of the current changes and strong recommendations regarding masking. (See attached document).
Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through the many changes that are required of us this school year. We hope you are feeling as positive and excited as we are for this great year ahead!
Yours in Education,
Kim Hobbs, Principal
School Times * Note the 5-minute change in Elementary lunch times.
9:00 am – 12:00 am classes
12:00 – 12:40 – Lunch break *
12:40 – 3:25 pm classes *
9:00 am – 11:55 am classes
11:55 – 12:40 – Lunch break
12:40 – 3:20 pm classes
School-Family Communication - Our school uses the MSS program as our main method of communication to get information home in a timely manner. Emails from here will arrive in your mailbox from Production@myschoolsask. Please check that you have this email address on your email safe list.
In addition, we have the capability to send home text messages (of limited size) via SwiftK.
Social Media – We continue to utilize school social media as an additional method of communication with both parents and the community at large.
• School Website: www.sunwestsd.ca/eston/
• School facebook page: www.facebook.com - search Eston Composite School
• School Instagram account at: Eston Composite
Attendance – Automated attendance calls are generated 10 minutes into class time for any marked absences and sent out to parent phone numbers approximately 30 minutes after that. (If your child arrives late, but it is after the 10-minute leeway period, we have no way to stop that attendance call from going out to you.) We ask that parents please notify the school of your child’s absences.
- We are a NUT AWARE SCHOOL. We do not allow nuts or peanut butter in our school. Should your child come to school with a product containing nuts, we cannot allow them to have it and it will be sent home. We will replace the item with one that is Nut Safe. If you are using WOW Butter in your child's sandwiches, please communicate to the classroom teacher that you are using this nut alternative.
- Optional Milk Program: The milk program will not take place at this present time; we hope to restart it soon and will keep you updated.
- Bus Transportation – Parents wishing to arrange for bus transportation for their students are asked to use the following link: https://permission.click/AY7ez/ca/wnE
STUDENT INSURANCE FORMS: Kids Plus™School Distribution Program - For your convenience, Sun West School Division has made arrangements for interested families to purchase student accident insurance through the Kids Plus Accident Insurance program, underwritten by Industrial Insurance and Financial Services Inc. Kids Plus Accident Insurance offers protection against the unexpected costs of injury from accidents, and is especially valuable for families who:
- do not have medical or dental plans,
- have limited plans, as it may help supplement health and dental benefits, or- have active children who enjoy sports and outdoor activities.
School Year Calendar: Magnetic calendars are being sent home for each family (the youngest or only child in each family). (The calendar is also posted on the school webpage, the SWSD webpage and a copy is attached here).
Picture Day: School pictures will be taken on Tuesday, October 5th by Lifetouch Photography.
Two Shoe Policy - Regardless of the season, Elementary (K-6) students are expected to remove their outdoor shoes when entering the building. Students will put on their indoor shoes when inside the building. If dress shoes or other special shoes are meant to be worn for a dress up day or any other reason, students are to bring their shoes in their backpack and will only be worn inside.
- Appropriate weather wear - Please be aware of how your child dresses for the weather. We will not be allowing students to stay inside because they are not dressed appropriate for the weather.
- Student Handbook – is being updated and a copy will be emailed to all families. Anyone wishing a paper copy can request one from the school office.
September 7th – Grade 4-6 Open House - Parent Night
September 8th – Free Welcome Back Hotdog Lunch for Students (you do not need to
pack a lunch this day 😊)
- Mustang Spirit Day – Wear your red, black and white clothing or Mustang
September 9th – Grade K-3 Open House – Parent Night
September 13th – Grade 7-12 Open House – Parent Night
September 17th – Terry Fox Run (Parents and community residents are welcome to meet
outside the school and join us for the walk at 11:00 a.m.)
September 27th – No School For Students – Teacher PD
September 30th – National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
October 5th – School Picture Day
October 11th – No School – Thanksgiving Monday
October 12th – No School for Students – Teacher PD
October 25th – No School for Students – Teacher PD
November 10th – Grade 1-12 Report cards
November 11th – No School – Remembrance Day
November 12th – No School
November 15 – No School – Teacher PD
November 16th – Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences
November 17th – Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences
Welcome back GRADE 4-6 Families
GRADE 4-6 COHORT PROTOCOLS
- Students are to arrive after 8:45 a.m.
- Students line up outside the designated Southeast entrance, according to their Grade (Teachers will be holding signs the first few days)
- Students are to keep their backpack/ bookbag with them
- Teachers will lead the students into the building
- Students must use hand sanitizer provided - every time they enter the school building
- Homerooms will be slated for hand washing at various times throughout the day
- Please review the pick-up and drop off locations.
- Parents are welcome to enter the school through the front entrance doors and sign in at the office upon arrival.
- Cohorts are assigned staggered times for entering and exiting the building (recesses and dismissal)
- No sharing of food, utensils, electronic devices.
- Bring filled, leak proof, clean water bottle daily.
- Town students are encouraged to spend their lunch break at home, whenever possible - dismissed at 12:00 p.m. and return to school at 12:40 p.m. Upon return to school, town students would line up outside the designated Southeast entrance, according to their Grade. A teacher will lead them into the building at the appropriate time.
- Otherwise, eating Snacks and Lunch take place in Homerooms
- Grades 4-6 will go outside to Play from 12:00 – 12:20 p.m. (while K-3 students remain indoors to eat)
- Grades 4-6 will return to their Homeroom to Eat from 12:20-12:40 p.m. (while K-3 students go outside to play)